Sponsors

I'm now looking for sponsors for the 2014 season. If you would like me to promote your business or just have questions, please contact me at: lmf69@roadrunner.com

Sunday, July 31, 2011

St. Clair Again

I just can't get enough of this lake. This weekend I took a friend up to practice for his upcoming club tournament on St Clair. Friday morning he was not very happy with me, I was up about 20 to 2 on him for the four hours we fished. Fishing clear water is out of his comfort zone. The fish would hit about anything if it was presented correctly. We fished the breakwalls outside of the marinas for largemouths. I was casting a 2.5 square bill with success, even picked up a couple smallies. He was flipping a craw with no success, so I handed him my crankbait rod and I picked up my flipping stick with a craw and hooked up on the 1st pitch right where he had just flipped. Needless to say, it was not well received. Often times in clearer water you have to fish FAST!!!! Cranking I was reeling almost as fast as I could and ripping the bait off the weeds, right on the rip they would nail it. Flipping I had a 3/8 weight to his 1/8, causing the bait to fall much faster. Why was I reeling so fast?  Simple, with a faster moving bait the fish don't get a chance to see its not real. Around this part of Ohio one might think that this will help in their success, but next time you are down at the farm pond or local stone quary just try speeding the retrieve up a bit. By the way, we did pretty well on the smallies Saturday, finally found a few in the 4lbs range.

12 hour night tournament on Wawasee in northern Indiana on Saturday, this should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment